Wednesday, November 4, 2009

NOT Leaving the House on Mondays

We made it to Texas uneventfully yesterday! The kids did awesome and once we arrived I realized that I know longer have babies, but toddlers now. sigh.
The weather is absolutely perfect. I'm enjoying a nice cup of hot tea as I write. I've already hit the resale shop for clothes for the kdis to wear while they are here and did enough damage to the checkbook to last me a good bit. :)

So why have I decided to boycott leaving the house on Mondays? As you know, a week ago this past Monday I had my wreck. This past Monday's drama was......being robbed! My wallet was stolen right underneath my nose. I was buying an item on the side of the street while still in my car. My purse was sitting in the front passenger seat while I was talking to the young man out of my front passenger window. My "alarm" told me to make sure my wallet was hidden, but I didn't chose to move my purse. The same type of items were across the street and while I was looking at what they had compared to what he had, he snatched my wallet (mind you this isn't a purse that gapes open, but rather a floppy bag that he had to open). I decided I liked some of his items, but wanted to also look at what the other side of the street had and he told me he'd meet me there to make the purchase. Oddly he didn't immediately come and when I yelled for him to come over he was hiding behind a truck....I know now what he was doing! I went for my wallet to buy the items and it wasn't there. Hmmm...maybe it was at home, but I didn't have a way to call Ana to ask. Lots of details of my day followed before I went back to the salesman about 1hr 1/2 later and asked him if he had my wallet. He gave me the "No mi amor" line and followed me across the street as I asked the other salesman and security guard. No luck, and of course I wasn't very forceful. You want to believe the best in people.
This would have been a MUCH bigger ordeal if I hadn't of had my cedula and the kids residency cards in a different wallet so that we could get out of the country. Praise God those three cards were in a different location. My drivers license was expired and there was one here in TX that I was going to get anyways. The bummer is that I had been to the ATM that morning and there was over $150 in my wallet.
I talked to Scott last night when we got in and the MOST RARE thing happened yesterday.....some men found my wallet and contacted Barrick's HR department about it! My wallet was found near the location where I had bought the items off the side of the road. Scott hasn't received the wallet yet, so we don't know exactely what it all missing, but we have already canceled the credit cards.
Side note: We had left our camera at a restaraunt a couple of weekends ago and realized it 3 days later. When I called, they still had it! QUE RARO por la Republica Dominicana!!
For those that have been robbed, you know the feeling of "how stupid" and violating it feels. In the DR there are certain things you always do when you get in the car.
1. lock doors
2. put your purse out of view even when driving (at every stoplight men are approaching the car to sale things)
I let my guard down on Monday...lesson learned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Total bummer about your wallet! But praise God your passports weren't in it. How knows, maybe God will get that money back to you in an only-God sorta way. I'll boycott not leaving the house on Mondays. That's our grocery day and I really would love to skip it. :)