Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Blistery Weekend

Two great pictures of Dominican wiring.
Last week the kids and I again drove up to Caberete (3hr tirp through the mtns) again to spend part of the weeek with Olivia and Angeli. The kids and I road horses on the beach for an hour. Not so hot for the rear the next day, but Adeline was in heaven. She loves riding. Scotty met us on Friday night and then he and Mark watched the kids Saturday through Sunday afternoon while O & I went with 4 other women to a spa in the mountains. A girlfriend arranged the trip, and I didn't really check the place out until a night before we left. My jaw hit the ground when I read not coffee or wine was allowed! But it was only one night, so I could get passed the withdrawals. However to our great surprise the spa wasn't the holistic experience that the website suggestes (i.e. we did get to drink coffee and we didn't have to sneak in the wine and only drink it in our room), but it was a nice place to get away. Bravo to the hubbies for watching the kids. I forgot the camera so no pics :(
Adeline came down with a cough on Sunday when I arrived back from the spa and she had a fever by Monday. She was well enough to go to school by Friday, but Darton caught it midweek and it's hanging on longer for him.
There are two things a gringo never wears in the DR....until this weekend happened.
1. closed toed shoes WITH socks
2. sweater during midday
Although my friends in Nevada would be breaking out the flipflops for this past weekend, we were pulling out the long-sleeved pants and shirts AND socks. Darton wears socks and closed-toed shoes so little that he is totally bugged by them.
We went down to the Colonial Zone (where all the history of Columbus' landing and such is) yesterday afternoon to see the Amistad and fly kites. The house behind Scott and the kids was Columbus' brothers. Sto Dmngo is full of rich history and contains the ruins of the first hospital in the Western hemisphere.
We are now counting down the days until my parents get here on Saturday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun week for y'all! I think I my jaw would have dropped too if I thought I'd have to go without coffee and wine. Whew! Glad you still got the coffee! And I love that picture with you and A! Super cute. :)