Thursday, August 12, 2010

Knowledge gained from living in the DR

If we weren't living in the DR, then we wouldn't know that....
1. Sarah can jump her way up onto a 10ft doorway! It's where the neighborhood cat hangs out and it drives Sarah crazy!2. The best melon that I've ever put in my mouth is this beauty here. I don't know it's name, but it's ALWAYS sweet. It's orange on the inside like a cantelope.
3. Avocado season starts in August here. How do I know this, besides seeing more being sold on the street? There is an aguacate (avocado) tree in the empty lot behind us and it's branches hand over our back yard. Every day I have the kids gather aguacates before Sarah gets to them! We have so many (3 daily) that we can't eat them all. We made some awesome guacamole this past weekend.
4. Darton is thoroughly entertained by playing with the botellones and Daddy successfully stacked 4 empty ones! D now works hard most days stacking two on his own when Daddy isn't here. 5. Passion fruit is the exact opposite of what I associated it with in the States.
Chinola juice is our favorite and the pastry shops around make an awesome chinola cheesecake...ooooo and let's not forget chinola margaritas!
Notice the texture of the outside. The more wrinkles, the more juice. Wrinkles come with time. You buy them in the store more like the one on the right and wait for them to wrinkle. Scotty calls the inside "frog eyes" and he enjoyes scooping out the middle and swallowing the seeds whole (it's quite slimy). It's the tartest fruit I've ever put in my mouth. I've yet to perfect making the juice without having too many seeds, so I'll get back to you on the juice process.
6. Air movement around doorways helps minimize mosquitos in your home. Mosquitos are quite pesky here (as in TX too). They tend to gather around doorways in the night and slip into your house as soon as you open the door in the mornings. Mosquito coils are also a favorite way of ours to keep them away.

1 comment:

Grandmommie and G-dad said...

We miss the fruit and we miss you!!What was the fruit that I liked so much? Scotty told me to eat it with lime juice....