Thursday, April 12, 2012

Darton is 4

Time keeps moving forward and yesterday we celebrated Darton turning 4 years old. For the majority of his toddler life I have expecting him to do things Adeline does since they are only 20mths a part. But then this past Spring it hit me that he is ONLY 3! Sorry little fella.
Do you have the same problem of thinking your children are "so old," 
but you see other 2 or 3 or 4 year olds as babies? 
photo credit: Milano Photography
Darton is celebrating with 4 parties this year! We had one in TX with family, a small one with rice krispie treats at school, one with just us last night, and then he'll celebrate tomorrow with a few friends that aren't in his school. This year's party theme is pirates! I chose pirates because of his love for Hook...not to be confused with a love for Peter Pan. He loves the Robin William's movie Hook. However, Hook and Peter Pan are way outdated and I couldn't find anything related to them for party favors, cake decorations, etc. Pirates of the Caribbean are a hot item right now though, so thankfully we were able to find swords, treasure coins, and pirate patches. Unfortunately Pirates of the Caribbean have skulls on everything.
For a party activity, I drew up a treasure map of things around the house for the kids to follow. At each stop they collected a coin and then they had a treasure bag at the end. 

 When Darton gets something in his mind, he becomes obsessed with it.  While in TX one of his obsession was getting a guitar. Grandmommie made that happen for his bday and he's been strumming to music ever since. I never knew he paid so much attention to the musicians at church until he showed us how to silently count to lead us into singing while he plays the guitar.

Darton's recent work writing "letters" (as in the alphabet). He's very detail oriented, which comes through in his choice of clothes as well as fixing his hair.
 I've learned a lot about my little bud over the last six months.  He blossomed out of the baby stage last Fall and we started discovering who our son really is.  He is so intense and will rarely willingly do something if it wasn't his idea. I've always said Darton came out of the womb crying and hasn't stopped. Those that know him can testify. If Darton was able to live by himself, there would be much less crying. But because he has two parents to deal with, his life is quite frustrating. I didn't know all my son's characteristics were of a strong-willed child until I began reading Cynthia Tobias' You Can't Make Me (But I can be persuaded). It has been an "ah-ha" moment for Scott and I to say the least.  Scott has also realized his son is A LOT like him, scoring slightly under Darton in the strong-willed test Tobias gives in her book.

One of the funniest quirks about Darton is how he loves to mimic adults. It started with our gardener Teo, but while in TX he picked up tree trimming (his Papa's profession) and wearing his socks high (like his Gdad). He works like I've never seen a toddler work. When he sets his mind to it, he is an incredibly hard worker and his detail oriented personality carries over in this area. Both grandfather's can testify to his work skills, rather that be pulling branches to the shredder or raking a whole front yard full of grass trimmings.

I won't lie Darton, there are times when I think life would be much easier without you. But my handsome boy, God has given you to me for a specific purpose. You are my perfect gift. You have the sweetest nature and I'm enjoying discovering how God created you. I will continue to do my best to learn how to be a good mommy to you. I love you.

No comments: