Wednesday, May 20, 2009

82% Humidity

So what happens when you are living in 82% humidity (that's what weather.com claimed this evening for Santo Domingo).

Well...
1. tile floors become wet and won't dry (Scotty had to explain the physics of this. The air conditioner made the floor cold, then once I turned it off the humidity in the air literally became water and collected on the floor. It took hours for the floor to dry.)
2. toilet paper is soggy
3. salt won't come out of the salt shaker
4. any hair on your head shorter than 3 inches becomes "the frizz"
5. the refrigerator leaks water
6. you take a cold shower by CHOICE

There is a storm system that has been moving over the island for three days now. Lots and lots of rain that's not normal for this time of year. Rain always brings humidity and intense heat if there are no clouds in the sky. Tonight has been a beautiful thunderstorm and lighting storm. Adeline is experiencing both for the first time and is loving it.
Thunder and lightning aren't the only noises filling the night sky here though...
Santo Domingo is the city of car alarms...sensitive car alarms. You could compare tonight's experience to watching a really good movie and cell phones going off all through it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you have any positive things to say about living in the DR?? (i live here too, and i´ve lived most of my life in the states, yet..i love it!)

Geer Family said...

Sorry Manny that you get the feeling that we're not happy because WE ARE and muy contento! My experiences are to come off more comical than negative and mostly when I write about life here it's the stuff that is different from our home in the States, hence the gomas and humidity stories.

Miss Mommy said...

Hey! I was also encouraged by Darton's (lack of) eating. One day this will all be worth it...right? Anyway, I actually have started putting Luke in his room b/c I get so angry I don't want him or the rest of my fam to experience it. It's one thing to not eat and quite another to scream at me while I'm trying to feed him. These boys... :)

Looking at Manny's comment- no idea who he is, but he needs to back off. ;) Your experience is YOURS and you don't have to love it. I don't love Scotland- it's not all castles and Sean Connery and I'm not about to apologize for it. There's nothing wrong with the UK (or the DR), but that doesn't mean it's home or anything close to what we left behind. This is a sore spot for me- I am soooo tired of people telling us what to put or not put on our blogs! They're ours, dang it! You're a good woman for following your husband and I will be praying for us both to love the Lord, our men, and our kids even more thru it.