Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sick Family

Adeline enjoyed treating Nikita like a baby. You can guess where she was about to 'TRY' to put her next. We had children's praise music on and A was swaying Nikita in her arms like a mother would do a baby. So priceless! I bought a papaya (lechoza), 2 mangos, 1 pineapple (pina), 5 bananas (gineo), and 1 avacado (aquacate) for $300pesos (about $9US) at the beginning of the week and here the kids are enjoying snack time.
To save on diaper costs and because he's been asking to teetee, I sat D on the training potty at the table and we enjoyed playing play-doh.

I came down with a cold midweek and continued to want to chalk it up to allergies. I'm one who underestimates or thinks it's not as bad as it really is. I really only had one day that was yucky yucky, but not so bad that I couldn't function as a mommy.

Scotty came home Friday with yuckness contantly running from his nose and sneezing every 5 minutes. I thought surely today is your worst day, but he's red-eyed today and stopped up. We are going to stay home from church tomorrow.

Adeline spent last night throwing up and having dry-heaves. It was her first experience with this and she was a trooper. As long as she had mommy she did great, all things considered. She threwup one last time this morning after having milk and has kept everything else down. My first reaction was fear b/c we had a friend who had ameobas and threw up for 10 days. Praise God it's not that! The only thing new to her diet last night was organic soy milk from the powdered state. This morning the milk had floaties of particles that weren't soy, so I'm wondering....

Scott thinks she and he have a virus and are reacting differently to it. I've been getting into the more natural ways to prevent sickness and came across a blogger who uses hydrogen peroxide in her ears when signs of colds are coming on. I'm not kdding when I had to force Scotty to do it...when it's not his idea, then it must not be a good one. Well I'll give him more credit than that...he just questions the idea to death and you have to come up with a very good reason to defend yourself. I'm getting better at this after 5 years of marriage, but he still makes me stumble across my words in frustration. I'm actually very thankful for the opportunity to have to think through by belief or idea.
Back to the hydrogen peroxide... He cried his way through it! But let's not tell him to read this post, shall we? :)
I made chicken soup with veggies, lots of pepper, and Sea Veg Mix to boost our systems. We are taking our echinacea and vitamin C and I'm minimizing sugar intake.

The irony in the situation is before going to bed last night I read the chapter "When Kids are Sick" in from Praise Her in the Gates: The Calling of Christian Motherhood by Nancy Wilson.
A quote from her book that I assume I will be needing to practice in the weeks ahead as I have begun a study of The Power of a Praying Woman with English speaking Christians here (most are missionaries).

We want to be women of integrity and humility,
exercising wisdom, and characterized by kindness,
giving way to those who disagree with us.

This applies directly to a concept a Christian girlfriend brought to my attention this week. Why as Christian women are we not picking each other up off of the ground, but rather wanting to push each other down onto our knees? I really do believe I am more of an encourager than a discourager, but there is a sense in me with some women that I'm out to prove myself...and more so with Christian women. I've never faced this battle before moving here to the DR. But it's one that I'm trying to get to the root of....
Another quote I enjoyed from Wilson's book
We can not entrust the care of our children into those who do not fear God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, this is a totally random question, but, how do you eat papaya? Do you really enjoy it? I've had it twice that I can recall and both times it was awful. I was in my late teens/early twenties and thought it smelled/tasted a lot like what I imaged (at the time) a baby's diaper to be like. To my shame, I haven't tried it since. Normally I try things over and over until I can say for sure I don't like them, which rarely ends up being the case. But, alas, I'm a little nervous to buy papaya in Iowa.... Any thoughts/advice for venturing out into papaya world?

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on pushing other women down. This is something I've really started to notice and feel I am battling myself. I feel like I've been caught in some weird competition with other women (esp. Christian moms) and I don't understand it. I'll google Nancy's book and see if we have a copy at the library!