Sunday, May 9, 2010

Oh Texas How I Love Thee

Not quite sure if I've re-fallen in love with Texas or just the United States. I can officially say the honeymoon stage of life in the DR is over, and I've come to appreciate the comforts of life in the States. What comforts exactly?

1. I can drive with my purse in the front passenger seat and the car unlocked.

2. I'm not fighting 3.5million people to get where I need to go and driving is NOT a race.

3. I'm greeted and served by a waitress with a smile on her face....and that's in a fast-food restuarant. Can I get a shout out for Chik-fil-A's service! They took my tray to the table, they came by my table to see if I wanted a refill, and they have throw-away place mats for the kids!!

4. I don't have to demand help from an employee at a store. Shopping is a pleasure.

Let me explain what it's like when I walk into a typical retail store in the DR. You must walk in with a chip on your shoulder in order to receive help. Help must be demanded and then the employee is usually your best friend...but not until then. The DR retail experience has seriously made me a different person...one I do not like. I enjoy sharing a smile with the person helping me. I enjoy saying "yes, mam," "please," and "thank you." I've stopped smiling in the DR. I haven't stopped having manners though....YET. Maybe I'll go back refreshed and ready to spread a little kindness to the average Dominican. My good Dominican friends say there's a lack of learned manners in the DR, not a lack of friendliness. Last Christmas I would have disagreed. I'm realizing they're probably right.

We miss you Daddy!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, Chick-fil-A is AWESOME! :)