Wednesday, May 26, 2010

How We Roll

This is the way we roll, we roll; this is the way we roll ;) I'm pretty certain that's a song of some sort from way back when...

Thought I'd let you know how we travel to and fro and what helps our trip run smoothly. Well, first and foremost all the prayers lifted up for us is what makes our day run smoothly! I am NOT kidding on this one.

We stroll through security and the airport with a MacClaren double stroller. It's very light and easy to maneuver and fold. I hang a carseat on one handle (the smaller and lighter the carseat the better!). On my back is a backpack and I carry a slingbag (made in the DR) with our extra clothes and blankets. Adeline carries the smallest backpack I could find for her body which usually contains most of our snacks. The final bag we carry on is a small insulated LandsEnd softsided lunchbox to hold the milk drinks. I received these cute Winnie the Pooh neck pillows with a diapers purchase in the DR and it was well worth the space they took up in the backpack. Little Miss started out the first flight with a DVD while brother took a great nap. He actually traveled with a double ear infection on both rounds of the trip. But I am blessed with children who don't have ear troubles on the plane with or without infections. And the list of goodies that helps me travel with toddlers:
  • snacks (small sized candies (i.e. M&Ms, tic tacs, etc) & items with nutritional value (energy bars, nuts, raisins, etc)
  • napkins & grocery bags
  • activities (stickers, crayons, paper, card game)
  • small toys for tray area
  • 2 sippy cups & 2 bottles
  • 2 small blankets (although maybe I'll start carrying one since AA charges $8 to buy one on the plane now!! Oh but it does come with a $10 BB&B gift card...so I guess you do make $2 on the deal)
  • extra pair of clothes (came in handy when Dman had a blowout at the end of his first flight on the return trip)
  • 4-5 diapers for a 9hr day b/c you never know if it will turn into a 12-18hr day
  • 1-2 pullups for the emergency times when you can't get to the potty but your 3 1/2yr old MUST go to the restroom
  • DVD player (usually only used on one flight and she never watches it for more than an hour...we could probably go without it next go around)

Last note. We don't mind the 7am flights (which means you need to be at the airport at 5a) because the kids do a great job catching up on sleep once on the plane. I do admit that this was the first trip where they finally got over the "I'm riding an airplane" excitement and went to sleep the majority of the trips. I no longer have much anxiety about flights since Darton is 2 and required to have a seat. It might cost more to fly, but it's a world of a difference when you don't have to manage 3 bodies in 2 seats!

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Incredible. I am very impressed and sad we didn't get to see yall one more time before you left! Hope yall had a great time and hope you are feeling good! We will be thinking of yall!

Miss Mommy said...

Agreed. I am sooooooo excited to have Luke in his own seat this time we go home (TG/Xmas!). It is worth extra money for sure. We also live by the DVD player (Luke's choice) on flights, breaking every rule we have of over-viewing. We decided it's worth it.

Love all the tips- rethinking my next pack. ;)