Wednesday, June 2, 2010

In Case You Wanted to Know

I'm really wanting to focus more blogs on what is different about living here in the DR. After being here for almost 2 years, I've begun to forget what is different!

Most all cracker and cookie products are packaged in individual servings due to the high humidity. This package of Oreos is an American made package. The Dominican made Oreos come in a serving of 4 and are smaller with a slightly different flavor than the American Oreo. Did you know Oreos aren't known or liked worldwide? No, seriously! The silver package is saltines. The largest selection of crackers here is the soda cracker. It's a treat to find Wheat Thins or Triscuits. Cheeze-Its are NO WHERE to be found on the island!On any given day there are horse drawn carts carring veggies/fruits/dirt amongst the traffic of 3.5million crazy drivers. There are more Land Rovers driven here than I've ever seen in my life! This picture is taken at the end of one of the main highways going east/west through the city - 27 de Febrero. My most favorite thing about the Dominican Republic is the fruit vendors. I bought this container of precut fruit for about $1.50US. When I was home in May, I bought a fruit cup at
7-11 that contained less than half the fruit for $3.99US. When I go to a brunch and need to take a dish that I haven't had time to cook, then I'll stop at a fruit vendor and buy a container of fresh, precut fruit. Dominican Mother's Day was the last Sunday in May and Scotty came home with these beauties. They are 4x taller than what you see, but the lovely Sarah broke our large vase and we cut these down.
The DR has the plantano/plantain and the gineo/banana. Both can be found in the mas duro/ripe and unripe stage. It's a CHALLENGE to find a banana that's not too ripe or too green. There are different dishes for the green plantains and bananas (green banana not pictured). The best I can describe the flavor is like a potatoe...except with less flavor. Ana can peel them with a knife very well, but I have to boil them in order to get the peeling off. You can prepare them mashed or fried. When fried they are cut in chunks, fried, flattened, and then fried a second time.
The ripe plantain is sweet like a normal banana and can be mashed in a yummy casserole with cheese or fried in slices. Dman's favorite breakfast is fried ripe plantain.

1 comment:

Miss Mommy said...

Very interesting!!!! I can relate in many ways... :)