Friday, May 18, 2012

A Sweet Visit

A Christian girlfriend, Krista, that I met shortly after I met Scott in 2002 came to visit us with two of her friends, Ana & Neda, last week. 
We enjoyed a day at the beach
Krista took some great shots of life here. 

Krista is all about catching the moment on camera!
This guy asked me to buy him a mango while I was buying fruit. I didn't respond. Then he said "It's for the nino." I told him, "It's always for the nino" (b/c that's a common phrase when they want something). But after Krista wanted his photo he said we could take it if I bought him a mango! Fair enough.
I LOVE THIS PHOTO. It captures the dominican fruit stand, the dominican street sign, and you'll notice our friend here is a windshield washer.  At almost every stoplight there is a guy wanting to wash your windows for a few pesos...it's better than begging! The clever ones, like the one above, use a 20oz bottle filled with soapy water with a hole poked in the lid to squirt the water on your car windows. He then has a disgusting sponge to wipe his dirty soapy water with and a leather strap to swipe off the water. 


Krista and the girls enjoyed coco water and the flesh of the coco or la comida del coco (didn't like that part so much). We found out the hard way that coco water must be refrigerated if its not in the coco or it starts to ferment quickly!

Staple ingredients in dominican seasonings include: red bell pepper, onion, garlic, and cilantro
They DEVOURED Santa's chicken




stoplight vendor

papaya

 Krista, Macklin, and I spent a couple of hours in the Colonial Zone.









restaurant on the water before heading to the airport


We miss them a lot!!

No comments: