Thursday, January 5, 2012

5.3 Terremoto

Although Scott was already up and getting dressed for work, I sat straight up in bed this morning at 5:35am because the whole house was shaking. About 2 seconds went by and Scott said, "Get downstairs." We grabbed the keys to the iron door that locks us in upstairs (and intruders out) and as I placed my hand on Matthias' door the earthquake stopped and Adeline and Darton began to cry. We comforted them, Scott left for work, and I went back to bed. There was a small aftershock that took my breath away, but we are all okay.
There really is so little time to think during an earthquake, especially when they happen in the middle of the night. It takes a second to realize what is actually happening. This is the second terremoto in my life I have felt, the first one being in Elko, NV. It also occurred in the early morning hours.
I've been advised that the best place for shelter during an earthquake is near a large and heavy object. When the ceiling falls you want to be near or under an object that will cause the debris to make a triangle around you, giving you a space to survive. This could even be an island in your kitchen, the refrigerator, etc. But honestly a plan needs to be set in place. There really isn't time to think where should you go when everything is shaking around you. I pray that if my family has to experience an earthquake like Haiti, there will be time for me to get my children first.
Thank you God for your protection today.

No comments: