Saturday, July 18, 2009

Pachamanca

Que es una Pachamanca?
Panchamanca is a Peruvian (Peruana) BBQ...or so at least that's the closest idea I can compare it to for you.
It was hosted at this beautiful home seen below. We felt like we were on a set of a Spanish movie.

The first preparation for a Pachamanca is to heat stones for hours to make them hot enough to use for cooking. The food (meat & veggies) is cooked in a large hole in the ground. The crowd is gathered around the hole. We are in the far background. Notice I was wearing a long white skirt on a rainy afternoon to an outside event....not so white anymore.
The food is layered in between hot stones and large banana leaves. The food below is similar to a tamale. Peruana food is nice and spicy. A great change from Dominican food. The last food to be layered was whole peppers and green beans. The whole is then covered with dirt with a flower and cross placed on top.
This was the yummy rabbit cooked Pachamanca style. Thankfully Scott left out the part that the eyes were still in the rabbit. Pork, chicken, and goat were the other meats cooked. The kids loved the papas (potatoes). What priceless faces!"Here ya go, sister. Try out mine" [Note: Why I call my children "sister" and "brother" I do not know! It is quite the hillybilly habit.]"Sure, no problem Darton."
The large basket in the background was what held the food while in the ground. Traditional Peruana dancing.
No lie, we were the ONLY white gringos there. There was a group of Barrick people invited and Scott got on the email list somehow. We laugh that we're sure it was a mistroke on the keyboard. We made sure the "powers that be" knew we were very grateful for the opportunity.

3 comments:

Miss Mommy said...

That looks super-fun and cool! What a great adventure. I have been so proud of myself for avoiding saying sister and brother for my 2...it has been popping out recently, tho...arg!

BradandJen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BradandJen said...

That's awesome! I miss the kids!
When I first saw the post name I thought it was going to be about Dominican Pac Man.