Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Back in Business...or rather Online

Happy 55th Birthday Dad!

The last part of January we traveled to the southwestern part of the country. The main city is Barahona and the secluded beach to see is the Bahia de las Alguilas. The only larimar mines in the world are found here in this part of the country. We didn't trek up the dirt road to see them, but we did buy larimar from a local man who buys the rough rock and makes it into a stone you would buy in the store. The color of larimar definately reflects the color of the ocean in this part of the country.
Coastlineboatride to the Bahia. The bahia is a good 2hr drive from any hotel worth recommending and then they suggest you take a boat instead of your car to get to the beach.
at our hotel. Yes, there is an unprotected dropoff where my loved ones are standing!
Except for the bahia, most of the beaches are made of large white rock.
Hello World Wide Web after 8weeks! I must say that I didn't miss you. I missed contact with friends and family and since you provide my phone line I'll admit I'm glad you're back. I really enjoyed getting to know that I could do other things besides sit and work with you. I really enjoyed the time I spent with my kids instead of you. With that said, I am going to be better disciplined about our meetings even though you tempt me every time I walk into the room with the calling of "maybe someone wrote you an email." No more of that!
We've had a fun filled last 2months with moving into a new home, family, and traveling in the DR. I'm going to try to revamp the blog soon, but that takes time and time I'm not wanting to commit to the computer right now. I have a book, a terrace, and a pool to sit beside...sounds much more inticing doesn't it? Here is a look at the last 8wks or so via pics. (not in order)
Scott's family arrived Dec 31 for a little over a week. Here we are enjoying the terraza.Botanical GardensWe drove through the countryside to the north coast to visit Caberete. Unfortunately it was cloudy and rainy, but it was great that the family got to see outside the city. Warning: What I'm about to reveal is only b/c my blog is about "Life in the DR."
Stomach cramping can be a frequent occurance here, especially when you first move here. I'm talking cramping bad enough that you swear off giving birth ever again. Well after some good spicy beach-bought lambi and salsa, these cramps hit me on the hour long curvy mountain road. We were in 2 cars and my father-in-law was observant enough to figure out that I couldn't drive any more. Half way up the mtn Adleine began crying like she was going to throw up and with me swearing of labor and delivery ever again, my father-in-law pulled over and Adeline and I got out of the car. She was fine...but it was one heck of a bounding experience for my father-in-law and me! Thankfully my brother-in-law stayed pretty clueless in the back seat and after a 5minute pit stop we hit the road again. Whew..I'm hurting just thinking about it.
We stayed in 2 apartments in Caberete near the beach. They were without bathtubs, but my mother-in-law figured out a way for the kids to have their bath :) Sandcastle time with PoppaJenny & Ella (who turns 1 tomorrow)the apartmentColonial ZoneI have been reading a book about being a creative family. Here we are cooking with nuts and rocks. Yes, I needed a book to prompt me to get creative. Church Christmas partyWould you believe this small amount of Christmas paper and tissue paper cost about $15US! I could have probably eventually found it cheaper elsewhere, but searching for items in a city of 3.5million isn't fun! I ended up buying about 15 pieces of tissue paper and this all came from a pharmacy that wraps gifts for you. We moved out of our apartment Dec 12 and here the men are lowering our couch down 3 stories!Christmas Eve was spent with Barrick friendsRight before Christmas. I love living in the tropics!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to have you back! Looks like you've had a ton of fun since you last posted. Glad to hear it!