Thursday, February 18, 2010

What are we REALLY up to?

A girlfriend recently sent me an email asking "What are we up to?" and she is one that keeps up with the blog. I realized then that I have written about certain events, but not about our day to day much.

Scotty is enjoying work, although the stress level is much higher here than in Elko. He's learning how to work with non-Americans as well as balance family with his work during the week. Most daddies don't come home midweek like he does. We are very thankful he makes it a point to stop working and come home! Scott initiated Sunday family time 5 weeks ago and every Sunday we reflect on the week and then work through the prayer acronym ACTS. We then focus the rest of the week on what was listed specifically that Sunday. For example, we are focusing on adoring God this week for making us in His image. We purposely work on putting off our old man for what we confessed together as a family. The next Sunday we reflect on our spiritual journey on putting of the old man and seeing how God answered in supplication that week. I'm very proud of him for this.

I'm working on training/disciplining from the heart. I made a commitment 4weeks ago to try to change how I discipline and see if I see a difference in my children after 8weeks. I'm seeing small progress. I'm reading Sheperding a Child's Heart and pairing it with Ginger Plowman's Wise Words for Moms chart to accomplish getting to the heart issue when dealing with misbehavior. I highly recommend Plowman's chart!

Adeline is now in a Montessori school 2 days a week. Not one day of tears yet! She really likes having a smaller class. She was one of 20 in her school in the Fall and now one of under 10 at her Montessori school. Not to mention the room is twice the size and has all the cool hands-on Montessori material. The teacher explained that she needs to work more at home on vowel recognition and I then realized that if I don't step it up at home she'll learn to read in Spanish before English! Many children start school here 5 days a week and about 5 hours a day starting at age 2. Therefore many know their vowels by now. Don't worry, I'm still American enough to know that it's totally fine that my daughter doesn't recognize all her vowels by age 3 1/2.

Dman is becoming more of a toddler every day; although I have adopted the nonAmerican view of letting my son still be on a bottle beyond the age of one! :) He can repeat anything in English or Spanish. Ana and I laughed the other night when I was trying to teach Ana English and she was teaching me Spanish and Darton could say the words before either one of us could. His favorite phrase right now is "Oh maaaaan" when he's disappointed somehow. It's hilarious. He still refuses to say he has a poopy diaper even when you are changing him and he's yet to not fuss during a diaper change in his 22mths of life. 95% of the time when you tell D something or ask him somthing he responds with "no" and then the last one or two words you said. This to me really sums up his temperment. His favorite song to sing is "Swing Low."

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Ann, It is so neat to hear about your family and how different things are there! Not gonna lie, I would love to have my own Ana!! Is the Montessori School a private school? I haven't put Corie in preschool yet since we have two church days and MOPS twice a month, but I'm sure she would love it. We haven't worked on anything but singing the alphabet so far! I love that you are all learning a second language too. I'm glad you mentioned Darton and diapers... Evie is still a pill when she is being changed. Actually, she is pretty much a pill 50% of the time :) This is a long comment, but I really do love reading about what yall are REALLY up to!

Grandmommie and G-dad said...

Keep pursuing a love relationship with God. It will enrich your lives immensely. We are so proud of you and Scott. See you on Mar 13We love you!