Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Life with Ana

When we first moved here I thought I'd never have a live-in maid. Now, a year and a half later I'm not quite sure how I got along without Ana. Ana lives with us Monday through Thursday. Most families have help 5-6 days a week. I enjoy my "Sanctification Fridays" though.

How does having a trabajadora change your life?
Ana's main responsibility is cleaning the house. Therefore Monday through Thursday I rarely pick up any kind of cleaning utensil. This includes not washing a dish for four days. For the last year (Ana became full time last February), I have not cleaned a toilet. I have yet to mop my new home that I've lived in for 2 months now. My floors get cleaned 2 times a week (I remember I was lucky to clean once a week in the States). The amount of car/road pollution as well as having all tile/marble floors forces you to need to clean the floors more often here. Some trabajadoras clean the same floors every day! Carpet hides a lot.
Using a washing machine isn't a Dominican's forte, so I wash clothes but Ana folds them. Ana also washes sheets & towels. I haven't washed my sheets in a year. Ana washes them weekly.

Ana is wonderful with my children. Usually something is always chewed up by the dog if she's in charge, but I'm willing to sacrifice a few toys. Having Ana means:
I can go to a coffee or a Bible Study without my children (children are included in very little in this country b/c it's just assumed you have a nanny).
I can take Adeline to dance and leave Darton at home sleeping.
I only have to take one child to the doctor at a time.
I can do any errand childless.
I don't change every diaper.
I don't clean up every mess.

Ana is also a good cook, and while most trabajadoras clean and cook, I share the cooking responsibilities. Ana usually cooks one dinner for us and puts together most lunches. Today for instance I was able to play with the kids outside for 3 hours and then without asking, Ana put together lunch for us.

We now have a jardinero (gardner) 3 days a week and he stays busy busy for those three days with the jardin (greenery), piscina (pool), los pisos del terraza y nivel uno (terrace and first floor floors). Theo is also a blessing to our lives because the little time Scott does have at home is spent totally with the family instead of keeping up the yard or washing the car.

I'm not saying my life is better than yours because I have help in the house. I just want to communicate how much life is different here. Ana makes less than $15/day and Theo even less than that. House help is very affordable here. While most woman go through multiple trabajadoras in one year, I have a woman who people ask "how do I get one like her?" We have been truly blessed...I do not say this lightly.

There are days when I think, "Will I be able to live without Ana?" Many, many, many days I think of my friends with 3 or more kids juggling all the responsibilites of the home, mother, and wife. I stay in awe of you.
I really don't know what life would be like for me right now in the States. I've never raised toddlers before. I assume I'd even be pregnant with #3 like some of you are right now. I usually question "would I be able to survive without Ana?" and question my abilities as a helpmeet/mother/caretaker of the home.
I do know though that I thoroughly enjoy being able to play with my children without the responsibilities of the home weighing on my shoulders. I do not to take this for granted since life in the DR will probably end for us one day.

I laugh that I use to say I'd never have a live-in maid! Thank you Ana.

2 comments:

Miss Mommy said...

That's amazing. I'm a little jealous. I think it's wonderful. Give her a hug for me.

Unknown said...

Hi Ann!! I found your blog somehow....time to stop lurking. You are a lucky ducky....I am glad you are enjoying this experience. Are you guys there for awhile? Gina Fericks