Monday, August 24, 2009

Adeline's Big Day

Adeline woke up to a wonderful day today. First, we got to keep a friends chihuahua. It was more fun than I expected and the kids loved Nikita! Second, today was her first day of school!All smiles for her first day and standing on her ballerina toes.
Tio (Uncle) Denny and Adeline. Denny & Cynthia run the school in the bottom part of their home. It is for age 2 to grade 4 and was established in 1977. something must have gotten onto the lens when this picture was takenShe is now officially nervous b/c what you can't see in the picture is 3 SCREAMING/CRYING boys in the classroom behind the door. The "please don't leave, mom" worried face. She fussed for a little bit but was giving the teacher BIG hugs when she left. There is a boy in her class whose parents work with the US Embassy, but all the others are Spanish speakers. Darton & Sarah LOVED Nikita too. Nikita wasn't too sure about them though. Aaaahhhh, sweet Darton lovin'
Adeline cried BIG crocodile tears when we took Nikita to the pet hotel to stay the week.
On a Dominican lifestyle note: I went to La Casa de Conductor today because I took the paint off of a guys bumper and broke a headlight when he ran into me. Finding the place was the most challenging part of the ordeal, but this place has got all its stuff organized. The procedure here is to immediately or soon after your vehicle accident go to La Casa de Condutor to file a report. After the report is filed you go to your insurance company. I'm doing that tomorrow.
An officer with some English background helped me through the process for the times I didn't understand the other officer. They were quite confused that I had 2 first names (Julia Ann) and only 1 last name (Geer). This is completely backwards to the Spanish culture. The funny moment came when the English speaking officer asked me "Do you like your name?"
"Well, sir, yes I do now that I think about it. There's nothing to not like...or at least I thought there wasn't until you implied with your question that my name is funny!" LOL

1 comment:

Miss Mommy said...

Me encanta el uniforme...A es preciosa!!!

(Our one lamentable difference- I, who live in Scotland, speak Spanish...the irony.)