Monday, April 25, 2011

Bobbin'

Daddy & the kids made boats for the pool.

I proudly cooked a dominican lunch the other day. The menu: Rice cooked with salt and a bit of oil (they say they have a headache if they don't have rice for lunch), vegetables cooked in oil & vinegar, and fried salami. I don't know if dominicans eat salami for lunch, but it is a staple in the dominican grocery basket.

This is an example of what I mean by Darton being "all boy." He hits his horses on the ground so hard while he is pretending with them that the back legs break off...of 2 horses!



Last week after about 2 weeks of feeling "off" I finally sank and was willing to label my thorn in my side as depression. Praise God for talking to the perfect person at the right time and after meditating on Psalm 91 and John 2-4 my faithful God answered my prayer to drench me with His everlasting water and to protect me under his wings.

How can a mom living a dream life in the Carribbean get depressed you ask? As mentioned, depression is my thorn in my side (or at least one of them). Day-in, day-out, same-o, same-o gets to me after a while; especially with an infant who's not letting you get full nights of sleep. Back in January I was pumped to get back to life here with my three blessings. Now I just want me time! Or at least I did for the last three weeks. I've come to realize that most expat moms need to get off the island every 3 months or so. But really? Is that all I needed? No, it wasn't. Ultimately I needed sleep and God. Once I received that dose of medicine and a good 4 day holiday weekend with the hubby at home, I am bobbin' now and not sinking!

I'm getting back on track with more "purposeful play" (aka Little Hands to Heaven curriculum) and activities with the kids (painting, reading, puppets, ect).


Adeline's Play-Do creations of Mommy & Adeline. However, she doesn't call me "mommy," instead she calls me the dominican "mama" with an accent on the last "a." It drives me nuts since she says it with a whine. But it's been about a year since she first started using it, so I suppose it has stuck!

1 comment:

Grandmommie and G-dad said...

Way to go with the camping! Actually looks like fun, Mom and Dad