Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Recommendations

When you find something that you and/or your family enjoys don't you just want to shout to the world how good it is??? This post is dedicated to recent buys or gifts that we think are worth owning.

Our first recommendations are for parents/the family -
Paul Tripp - Getting to the Heart of Parenting. We had a foundation for some of Paul's words since we have read his brother's work, Shepherding a Child's Heart, which also centers around reaching your child's heart. We are watching the video series and we don't want to stop! Here's a taste:
The family is a Learning Community that consists of: Theological, Sociological, and Redemptive Communities.
The 5 Heart Questions:
1. What was going on?
2. What were you thinking and feeling as it happened?
3. What did you do in response?
4. What were you seeking to accomplish?
5. What was the result?

James Dobson - Bringing up Girls. I discovered through Dobson what I probably should have known long before now as a woman and a Christian woman. He helped me understand more how I and my daughter are made as well as how to grow a closer relationship with Adeline.

Children's Books & CDs
Antshillvania - This CD includes narrative and song to encourage your child to always listen to wisdom from above. The main character is an ant who takes off for fame and fortune. The wisdom from above that his father taught him is what he eventually must return to in order to survive. My father-in-law made a cd off of their old record copy a couple of years ago, and although we have been listening to it steadily for a year and half now, it has currently become very applicable and enjoyable for my kid's ages (5 & 3).

SEEDS Family Worship - If you haven't been able to find Bible verses set to music that your kids enjoy then you don't need to look any farther!! SEEDS has made memorizing Scripture so enjoyable and fun for kids. We have the Character and Purpose CDs and while both are great, we enjoy the Character one more. Thank you Miss Mommy!

God's Little Princess: Gigi The Pink Ballerina - Sheila Walsh. Gigi is determined to learn her memory verse and glorify God through it, but unfortunately she isn't the best dancer (Let them praise his name in dance. Ps 149:3a). What makes this story worth mentioning and buying is the message at the end - Gigi is God's little princess because He chose her, not because of anything she does. If you have a princess in your home this book is worth the investment.

Devotion Book
God with Us: Light from the Gospels - Carol Ruvolo. I've had way to many nonChristians tell me who they think Jesus is and in order to stand firm in my apologetics I needed a study that would deepen my knowledge of Him. My favorite part of the study is how Ruvolo summarizes the primary passages of study for each chapter. For example, chapter 4 is entitled New Wine and the Primary Passages of study are Mark1:16-3:19, Luke 4:31-6:16, & Mt 10:2-4. Her summary -
Jesus Christ
disrupted religious traditions,
enraged religious legalists,
and changed common people.
A master revolutionary
bent on destroying God's law?
No, rather a mater restorationist
bent on producing receptacles
fit to receive His
new wine.

Wow! How beautifully did she capture that thought/teaching! Another part I would like to share with you is her description of the Sermon on the Mount. The italicized are the words Jesus used in His sermon (Mt 5).

Heirs of the kingdom are poor in spirit because their eyes have been opened to their sinful inability to save themselves. They mourn over the sin that separates them from God and humble themselves under His absolute power. God's gracious regeneration of their inner beings stimulates a hunger and thirst for righteousness that He alone can satisfy. Satisfaction of that thirst encourages them to share the mercy they have received, strive for purity of life, and bring peace to those around them. The heirs of the kingdom know what it means to rejoice when they are persecuted for righteousness sake.

Again, wow! I have never read or heard a more manageable (for my mind) interpretation of the Beatitudes.

Recipe
Homemade Protein Energy Bar - I have been making these bars since shortly after my pregnancy with Adeline after my sis-in-law recommended it. I buy my spirulina from Bulk Herb Store, but that's mainly because I've never lived somewhere that has a store that carries it. I alter it by using whole oats, regular cocoa powder, tad under 1tsp spirulina, and I don't use all organic products. If you do add more spirulina be prepared for the color of the protein bar to be pretty disgusting....but still oh so yummy!

I hope you and your family enjoy recommendations from the Geer household!

No comments: