Monday, August 29, 2011

Sometimes Life is Easier in the DR

I know, I know..."sometimes." Come on, Ann, you don't have to clean your house or cook lunch 4 days a week! Yes, domestic help is definitely one of those bonuses to living here, but most of the time it takes a lot more effort to get something accomplished in the DR. I think part of that has to do with Santo Domingo's population of 3.5million and the other part is that it's just NOT MY COUNTRY. Maybe someone from the DR who has moved to the States has the mutual feeling about life in the U.S.

We experienced an "easier" moment this weekend when Matthias' bug bite turned purple as well as the surrounding area. I called a doctor friend instead of my pediatrician (although all doctors here give you their cell numbers and expect you to use it!), and she recommended what I expected - to give him an antibiotic. Step #2 is call the pharmacy and order the product. Step #3 wait for the pharmacy to deliver the drug. Yes, you can get an antibiotic without a prescription. Yes, I was able to avoid seeing a doctor. Yes, you can get drugs delivered to your house.

Matthias' fever subsided today, after 2 days of fever, sleeping lots, and refusing food, but thankfully drinking lots of formula.

I had my first doctor's appointment today. My body had been telling me that I was probably farther along than I originally thought, and today's ultrasound confirmed that I am a touch over 12 weeks and due March 9. Wow! Tears rolled as I saw our blessing for the first time on the screen.
I am seeing a new doctor this time and I asked her if she would do a home delivery. She said she would think about it! She wasn't suppose to say that! I will see her at the end of September and a decision will be made then if we will go forward with a homebirth here instead of returning to TX to deliver at the midwife clinic. Everything went perfect for Matthias' birth, including our 3month stay at my parents', but traveling with the 3 by myself plus Scotty not having much vacation time is what makes a homebirth here appealing. Please pray that the Lord will give us wisdom concerning this.

3 comments:

Lisa Haveman said...

am thinking of you and praying for you and your little miracle!! hugs

Grandmommie and G-dad said...

Praying with you and Scott.

Cheryl said...

Hi I just came across your blog and am praying your little guy is feeling better soon, also praying for you and your one being fearfully and wonderfully made!