Friday, February 20, 2009

Back Online

After two days of no internet I was very glad to come home this afternoon to find that I didn't have to call the internet company again and fumble my way through a conversation that would have been only one -sided (them talking and me not understanding).
Today was the first day in six days that Darton hasn't had a fever! But it was the day that I had set up an appointmen for the doctor. All in God's timing.
Against the advice of Ana and other Dominican friends, I didn't take Darton to the doctor all week since his temperature never rose above 100F. I assumed there was nothing that could be done by the doctor unless there was an infection. Yesterday he took a turn for the worse. After quite a few failed attempts to get a hold of an English speaking doctor, I was able to get an appointment for today at 12:30p. Darton was bad enough though yesterday that I was going to take him to a Spanish speaking only doctor whom I had seen before. The Lord had a different plan because the battery to the car had died!
Thank you to Denny for your help! Denny called a battery place nearby and brought a man here to install a new battery. The DR is all about service, so the idea of someone coming to your house to do the work on your car only means a couple hundred more pesos ($6US).
This morning there was an expatriot wife's meeting about living in the DR at a nearby hotel. I took Darton with me and Adeline stayed with Ana. I left the meeting in the middle at 11a, came back to the house and we all left at 11:40a to drop Adeline off back at the hotel to stay with friends (Thank you Julie & Anastasia) , and then to drop Ana off at her bus stop. At 12p I was now headed towards the doctor. I arrived at 12:20p for my appointment feeling very good that I was actually early after battling city traffic.
BUT... the doctor was now in a new location!!! Although he only ended up being a block away, I didn't understand all the directions and it took a couple of u-turns and 30 minutes to get to the doctor. There is nothing enjoyable about traffic in a city of 3.5 million people of whom most don't follow traffic laws creating more chaos than normal (i.e. 5 lanes of driving becomes 2 lanes because people are turning left out of 2 or 3 (only one marked for turning) and buses and taxis are in the far right lane stopping and going without any turn signals).
Praise God the doctor wasn't busy and I saw him by 1:15p and out before 2p. This usually NEVER happens in the DR. I don't know if it was the doctor (who spoke English and had an office more like one in the States) or God, or probably a mixture of two.
Darton, as I had suspected, was fine and if I had come in earlier in the week to see the doctor, there was nothing he could have done since there was no infection. So my relaxed mothering approach isn't always so bad :)
After a rough two weeks sickness life is back to normal now and both kids are currently taking naps. Guess I better get one in too.

No comments: