Monday, February 2, 2009

Reading & Vendors

The novelty of listening to music while falling asleep has worn off for Adeline, so I'm now reading to her for nap time and before bedtime. I didn't want to read short children's books mainly becuase it would take at least 10 of them to put her to sleep, so I started the Chronicles of Narnia with her. I figure it's like classical music at this age. She can't truly appreciate or understand it, but exposure to it can only be a good thing.

I started the first of the CofN series (which I haven't read myself) last week. We made it through the first book in only a week since it takes her about 20-30minutes to fall asleep every time. After a day or two I switched to Everyday Graces: A Child's Book of Good Manners. I LOVE this book! But Adeline wasn't so keen on it and wanted CofN back after a day of Good Manners :)

More about Everday Graces....I highly recommend it. It has all kinds of literature in it (poetry, classical lit, bible verses, etc). The first section is about obeying your parents. The author gives examples through literature of children who didn't obey their parents and the consequences. For example, she retells the Greek myth of Icarus and His Father. It's very fun and helps spark conversation about obedience throughout the day with "remember the story...". For those of you who lean on Scripture for instruction to your little ones, it includes it and maybe it's at the heart of this book as well, but the author doesn't wave it in your face on every page. Thanks Mom for this book!


Dominican Life - I stopped at my first fruit street vendor today to buy guinoes (bananas) and lechoza (papaya). Ana told me once I got home that I was charged double for the slice of papaya (I paid 40 pesos instead of 10-20pesos). That's exactly why it has taken me so long to buy from a vendor! Oh well, lesson learned. I also stepped out on a limb and bought flowers from a street vender today. I paid 150 pesos (aobut $4) for a bouquet of sunflowers. Ana said that was more or less what she expected it would cost. I'm grateful that I have Ana to show me the ropes.


Darton is pretty sure that he is a big boy now!





I never have been much of a flower girl. Mainly b/c I feel that they cost so much and then they die! But, I think that I've changed my mind....sorry Scotty.

No comments: