Monday, February 16, 2009

Comida Dominicana

With Ana now living with us, we've been experiencing a lot more Dominican food. I'm giong to try to post as much as possible about it.
Green bananas/guineos are very popular here. In fact, it's hard to find a ripe banana that's not too brown. If you wrap the green ones in newspaper they will ripen at your house (I've yet to do this).
You slice them and fry them 2x before eating them. It's almost like a potato taste. Good with ketschup.
Or you can boil them. The water turns dark brown from the banana. It does the same thing when boiling a green plantain/plantano. They take a while to boil, and then you mash them and add butter. I call this dish Domincan mash potatoes. It's extremely similar in taste.
Ana is the second person to make potato salad with this mixture, so I'm guessing it's a common way to make it. Potatoes, carrots, bell pepper, onion, and a touch of mayonaise. Yesterday Ana made lunch. Fried salomi is very popular here. She made the bread on the griddle as well.
I finally figured out how to buy good bread. There's not much if any bread selection on the grocery shelf, and my friend Katharin told me to buy it from the bakery in the grocery store. It's soooo much better. Hopefully in the next four years I'll be able to order bread from the baker, but for now we'll just stick to what's already made and available in the bakery. The price is about $2US. It's funny how you just start paying more for things without giving it a second thought. In the States I wouldn't buy bread for more than $1.25. It doesn't take long to get out of the hold habits...especially when you're forced.

No comments: