Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Heidi

Adeline and I finished Heidi today. The following is the last paragraph of the book which I think nicely summarizes an idea that was continually communicated throughout the last half of the book.

"At last the grandmother said: 'Heidi, read me a hymn of praise! It seems to me that I ought to do nothing but praise and glorify our Lord God, for all that He has in His mercy granted us, His poor children.'"

It is refreshing to read a book that gives credit where credit is due. Johanni Spyri even touches on the idea of the Holy Spirit without naming it.

"The good God see and hears everything,...He wakens quicly in that person the little watchman that God has placed in everybody at his birth, and that is allowed to sleep until that person has done somthing wrong."

It's a clever way of describing the Holy Spirit to a child. Although Heidi wasn't my favorite book, it is one that I think Adeline should read once she gets older and understands more of the lessons threaded throughout the book (responsibilities, manners, religion). If you have a daughter, I encourage you to pick it up for a reading.

No comments: