Saturday, April 11, 2009

Shopping Challenges

I found more challenges this week that come with living in a developing third world country.
I believe God is in the big things and the small things in life. One small thing He orchastrated this week was finding plastic Easter eggs. Dominicans celebrate Semana Santa (Holy Week), but there is no Easter bunny involved in their celebration. No Easter bunny means NO chocolate eggs, no jelly beans, and no Peeps (which Scotty told Adeline today are only good for watching die in the microwave anyway). I paid about $15US for 26 plastic eggs that a friend told me I could find in a birthday store. My dad had actuallypacked four bags of Easter candy in March, but when his luggage arrived a day late two of the bags were gone along with $150 of other stuff.

Good thing God led me to the bday store, because I also needed to shop for bday party supplies for Darton's 1st bday. Challenges with this store were that they did not sell wrapping paper or have helium to blow up the balloons that they sold. HELLO! I did find wrapping paper in a small upscale school supplies store, but I guess wrapping paper is so scarce here that the owner took one roll of wrapping paper and turned it into 5 rolls. Blessing from God - amongst the many Christmas wrapping paper designs there was one design made for boys! I didn't buy just one either...I've learned that once you find it buy ALL of it!

After the wrapping paper find, I walked across the street to a large pharmacy (A big buisness here is to own a pharmacy. There is one almost on every corner. When you need cough med, tylenol, etc you can call one and they will bring it to your apartment/house. When you need something like Sudafed you can buy just one pill or the whole box.). Another small thing orchastrated by God was finding deodorant without antipersperant for Scotty. I had found it at one store when we first came in September, but nothing here is carried regularly. There were 8 sticks of the Old Spice deoderant and I picked up three to buy. I then looked on the back to see that one was $241 pesos (about $7)! Thankfully we're going back to the States at the end of June, and I'll stock up at good old WallyWorld then.

No comments: